Dangers of Going Too Long Without Cleaning Your Chimney

Many people often neglect the regular maintenance of their chimney and don’t consider clearing it until something bad happens. You certainly don’t want to be one of them.

Here are the top three dangers of going too long without cleaning your chimney that will help you get a perspective:

Fire hazard

Fireplace and chimney are among the leading cause of residential fire structures.

Burning liquid or fossil fuel in the fireplace can lead to a buildup of creosote, a carbon chemical compound, around the walls inside the chimney.

If not removed through cleaning for a long time, it can become a tar-like, sticky, and highly combustible substance, which can easily be ignited by hot ember.

Most incidents are caused by excessive creosote in the chimney. Therefore, you should schedule regular maintenance to keep your home protected from a fire hazard.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Chimney plays an important role in venting fumes and smokes, which keeps toxic gasses like carbon monoxide out of your house.

If the chimney is obstructed due to debris, twigs, animals, or any other obstacle, these harmful gases can make their way inside your home and lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

It’s a serious medical condition with several adverse health effects, and exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide gas can prove to be fatal.

Carbon monoxide gas has no smell or taste, which makes it difficult to identify before it’s too late. So, you must ensure the proper upkeep of your chimney to keep your loved ones safe.

Mold growth

Mold growth isn’t a pleasant sight. More importantly, it can damage the structural integrity of your home and also lead to severe health complications.

Mold thrives under warm and humid conditions, which makes chimney more susceptible to mold and mildew problems.

If left unattended, it can damage the walls and other surfaces around the fireplace and give rise to costly repairs. Fortunately, a regular chimney cleanup and inspection can avert this problem.

The Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) recommends regular chimney cleaning from a professional to ensure your home and family remain safe.

Do you want to install a new fireplace at your home, get in touch with Chimney & Dryer Vent Services LLC today! Based in Cumming, We’re a fully certified, insured, and licensed company that offers professional fireplace installation and chimney cleaning services at affordable rates. Call us at (678) 709-6380 to get started!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these <abbr title="HyperText Markup Language">HTML</abbr> tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*